Dr. Leonard E. Clemons
Dr. Leonard E. Clemons
Alpha Upsilon - Spring 2003
Alumni Grand Board Member
Dr. Leonard E. Clemons is a Spring 2003 initiate of the Kentucky State University Chapter, the Alpha Upsilon of Kappa Alpha Psi® Fraternity, Inc. He is a proud Grand Chapter and South Central Province life member of the fraternity and currently a member of the Frankfort (KY) Alumni Chapter.
Brother Clemons serves as the 24th Province Polemarch of the South Central Province – a role he was appointed to in 2016 at 32 years old, making him the one of the youngest Province Polemarchs appointed in the history of Kappa Alpha Psi®. During his tenure as Province Polemarch, Dr. Clemons has led a Province administration that has accomplished much including:
- Financial Security – Increasing financial security with an over 300% growth in total assets and investments.
- Chapter Expansion – Expanding active chapters with six new charters and nine chapter reactivations to move the Province from 31 to 46 active chapters with three additional undergraduate colonies poised for charter.
- Member Engagement – Increasing active membership to over 1,000 and boosting program registration by over 100% for the C. Rodger Wilson Conference and Province Council to new Province historical records.
- Infrastructure Alignment – Realigning the Province infrastructure by comprehensively reviewing and overhauling the Province bylaws, developing its first executive operating team, and reimagining the communication and technology framework to improve membership engagement
Brother Clemons also serves as Vice-Chair of the Council of Province Polemarchs and as the most senior member of the Council. As a member of the Council of Province Polemarchs, Dr. Clemons led the task force that presented the current Amnesty Program for its policy implementation. Additionally, he was recently appointed as Co-Chair of a new task force to review and standardize chapter re-engagement plans to create consistency, fairness, and boost undergraduate chapter success. Fraternally, Brother Clemons has served and led brothers at every level of Kappa Alpha Psi®:
- Vice Chair, Council of Province Polemarchs (2021-present)
- Strategic Plan Implementation Committee (2021-present)
- Dean of Curriculum, ULI & Lead Kappa (2015-2017)
- Grand Chapter Reclamation Chairman (2007-2011)
- Vice Chair, Council of Junior Province Vice Polemarchs (2005-2007)
- Province Polemarch, South Central Province (2016-present)
- Sr. Province Vice Polemarch, South Central Province (2011-2016)
- Keeper of Records, South Central Province (2008-2011)
- Asst. Keeper of Records (2007-2008)
- Jr. Province Vice Polemarch, South Central Province (2005-2007)
- Strategus (2004-2005)
- Chapter Polemarch, Frankfort (KY) Alumni Chapter (2007-2009)
- Chapter Polemarch, Alpha Upsilon Chapter (2004-2006)
Professionally, Dr. Clemons serves as a recognized leader and consultant within higher education as a transformative leader in boosting student success. He currently leads a multi-million dollar operation and effort as Associate Vice Provost for Student Success at the University of Tennessee where guides the increase of student retention and graduation rates for 27,000+ undergraduate students while improving positive career outcomes.
An advocate of education, Dr. Clemons holds a master’s degree in adult and higher education from Northern Illinois University, and a doctorate in higher education leadership from the University of Miami.
The leadership and engagement of Brother Clemons extends to the community with philanthropic efforts as he serves as a board member of East Tennessee American Red Cross leading their philanthropic efforts as Philanthropy Chair. Dr. Clemons also serves as a board member for United Way of Greater Knoxville as he serves on the transformative investment committee to help allocate the $10M gift of McKenzie Scott to the organization.
A recipient of many awards, Brother Clemons is a man of God with a passion for community engagement, higher education, and student success as he assists students discover who they are, defining their goals for their success, and encouraging them to achieve their dreams.